2 bricks of feta cheese, 8 ounces each (keep it local!)
3 jalapeno peppers (I used Pickled Pink's Sweet Heat Jalapenos, diced)
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 head garlic (optional)
the juice and zest of half a lemon
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Chop the top off the garlic bulb and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap it in foil and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until garlic is soft.
- Meanwhile, brush the jalapenos with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast them with the garlic just until charred (I just peeked at them every few minutes or so).
- Remove both from oven and let cool. remove the jalapeno skins, cut in half and discard the seeds, then dice.
- In a large bowl, crumble the feta bricks. Add the diced jalapenos, the zest of half a lemon, and the juice of half a lemon. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the bulb directly into the feta. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and mash with a fork. Taste the feta and season with salt and pepper and/or extra lemon juice or olive oil.
- Serve with pita chips, warm pita, or naan, or spread it on sandwiches. Store it in the fridge for up to one week. It is best served at room temperature.